I recently spent a week in Byron Shire, staying in luscious (there's no other word for it) Mullumbimby at a friends property which had a creek running through the yard. I experienced a week of deep rest here and I now understand why people are drawn to this part of NSW - it is rich, wild and welcoming. I was very lucky to explore the surrounds by car, packing every day with all walks, restaurants, swims. I even ran into friends while there - Australia is a small place after all. Reflecting on the trip, here are my favourite places to visit.
- Park at Watergoes towards Pass for the Byron Lighthouse loop - go a couple of hours before sunset and plan an aperitif and lobster roll at Rae's after.
- Minyon Falls
- Bray's beach - if you're adventurous, scale the cliffs and find yourself a romantic secluded slice of beach
Eat & Drink
- Woods for a hot drink
- Ciao Mate for pizza and whatever their special is
- Eltham Pub
- Mullumbimby Pub
- Lillium Love Cafe every day - book for dinner if it's on
- Bakers and Daughters
- Bullinudgel Pub
- Red Ginger for dumplings
- Santos for wholefoods top up
- Doma for lunch - head here after Minyon Falls
- There are plenty of saunas around. Every few days we booked a sauna session driving between towns to break up the day.
- There's a very chic Italian run pharmacy in Bangalow I recommend spending time in - best toothbrushes, hair clips, towels and skincare range.
- Check the schedule for farmers markets, there's plenty on through the week.
- Organic produce is abundant and affordable, relish in it.
- Swim in the creeks.
- Reception is patchy so plan ahead. You won't need your phone for anything other than directions, soak it up.
I hope you find your way there soon!